CAW has a wonderful holiday activity for you. Are you interested in designing an exciting new CD album cover? And you don’t mind a short deadline. If so, read on.
The Hush Foundation has asked CAW artists to submit a design for their new album cover.
So, what is the Hush Foundation? The Foundation was established in 2000 by renowned physician, Dr Catherine Crock AM. She wished to help children undergoing painful medical procedures at The Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne. Her inspired vision was to transform the culture of health care through the arts. She began by introducing specially composed music from some of Australia’s foremost musicians and composers into hospital operating theatres and recovery rooms. Since then 19 stunning volumes of music have been recorded and made available to hospitals and care facilities throughout Australia and around the world.
Now COVID-19 restrictions have eased, the next Hush Album is being prepared. And this is where you can be involved.
The new album will feature 6 female singer-songwriters: Kate Miller Heidke, Megan Washington, Mama Kin, Naomi Crellin, Emily Wuramurra, and Missy Higgins.
Catherine took these musicians to visit maternity and mother-baby units where they met and talked with young parents about the joys and challenges of new parenthood. Each singer then wrote two songs. All are also parents of young children so they are able to also bring their own experiences to bear. Their performances are accompanied by the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra.
The title of the album will be Hand in Hand. This will be the highest profile album so far for Hush and will bring new audiences. So Hush has asked CAW for a standout piece of artwork by the end of January. We assured her that CAW artists are up to the challenge.
You can find out more about The Hush 20 Project on the Hush website.
All artworks will be displayed
- on the CAW website and
- at a Hush /CAW exhibition to be held in M16 Gallery 2 12 – 29 August. We are also planning to tour the exhibition to hospitals around the country.
Conditions of Entry
- must be a financial CAW member
- may submit up to 3 entries with a payment of $40 per entry via the CAW website
- can be in any media except photography
- should reflect the title: Hand in Hand
- must leave space for the Hush logo in the top left-hand corner and for the artists’ names and album title (see previous Hush covers for ideas of spacing the image to integrate the Hush logo and titles)
- must be sent as a high-resolution (1Mb-3Mb) jpeg image online to the CAW (email@example.com) by 5pm on Sunday 31 January.
Must be accompanied by
- payment of $40 per artwork – to go towards the exhibition and a donation to the Hush Foundation
- details of the artist (name, address, phone number)
- details of the work (date, media used, size in cm HxW) and a 25-word description
The Hush Foundation will
- select the artwork that most suits their needs (no correspondence will be entered into)
- require full rights over the use of the image (for use in promotions and merchandise etc)
- Once selected, CAW and the Hush Foundation will arrange for the original artwork to be sent to the Foundation.
I know the deadline is short but I have confidence that CAW artists can meet this challenge.
Please address any inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Put Hush Competition in the subject line.
We look forward to seeing your contribution.
Member Liaison and Events Convenor