2022 Mavis Hall Trust Grant
Concgratrulations Cassandra – well done!
ABOUT THE GRANT
Mavis Hall was a longstanding and active member of CAW. She died on 29 July 2017 and named CAW as one of the beneficiaries of her estate. The CAW Trust, set up to administer the scholarship, must use the interest generated from the capital for payment of the scholarship.
You need to have an active membership to apply.
2022 Mavis Hall Trust Grant – Application Guidelines and Form
Call for applications
CAW is calling for applications for the Mavis Hall CAW Trust Grant 2022.
In line with the CAW Constitutional objectives the ‘Mavis Hall CAW Trust Grant’ seeks to:
- benefit the recipient for further study or purchase of materials or any expenses reasonably connected to further progress the recipient’s advancement in any area of art;
- benefit the CAW through the recipient’s ongoing involvement in the Association because of the Grant.
The value in 2022 is $2,500.00.
|Applications open||Wednesday 1 June 2022|
|Applications close||Wednesday 14 September 2022 at 5pm|
|Judging process||Thursday 15 September – Friday 30 September 2022|
|Award recipient notified||Monday 17 October|
|Public Award announcement||Saturday 22 October 2022 at the CAW AGM 3-5pm|
|Award period||1 November 2022 – 1 February 2024|
|Award recipient’s interim report*||by 1 September 2023 (10 months)|
|Award recipient’s final report*||by 1 February 2024 (15 months)|
|*The form of the reports is to be negotiated with the trustees – options include a written report, a seminar, a presentation, a journal etc|
The purposes for which the Grant can be used include, but are not limited to:
- attending art workshops or academic art education programs nationally or internationally
- undertaking a national or international tour of significant art installations, organisations or locations
- working with an art mentor on a specific project
- mounting an exhibition of themed artwork including covering the costs of framing and hanging
- purchasing art materials for a specific project
- renting studio space for a specific project
- any other relevant project reasonably connected to furthering the recipient’s advancement in any area of art.
The CAW is looking for a proposal that:
- stands on its own as a complete and outstanding project
- is creative and original
- clearly explains and illuminates the applicant’s project
- has an achievable timeline
- has a well-planned budget
- has high quality supporting images
To be eligible to receive the Mavis Hall CAW Trust Grant the applicant will:
- have been a member of CAW for 12 months before submitting
- be able to demonstrate an active history of participation in CAW activities
- be an Australian or NZ citizen or Permanent Resident
- not be the previous year’s grant recipient of the Mavis Hall CAW Trust Grant
- have fulfilled all reporting requirements if a previous recipient of the grant
Lodgment and Application Period
- The application period opens on 1 June 2022 and will close on 31 August 2022
- All applications should be lodged online using the form on this webpage
- A Selection Panel appointed by the Trustees of the Mavis Hall Trust will review the applications and make their recommendation to the Trustees who will make the final decision.
- The Selection Panel will be made up of:
- A CPA accountant or person of integrity (Chair)
- Two eminent artists with status in the Australian arts community
- A Trustee of the Mavis Hall CAW Trust (ex officio).
- Assessments will be undertaken in September 2022.
- The Trustees will usually endorse the recommendation of the Selection Panel, but they have discretion not to accept the Panel’s recommendation if they have reasonable grounds not to do so.
- The decision of the Trustees will be final and not open to appeal.
Award Announcement and Period
- The Award Recipient will be informed, and an announcement will be made at the CAW Annual General Meeting on 22 October 2022.
- The Award Period will commence on 1 November 2022 and will run for a 15-month period until 1 February 2024.
- The grant will normally be paid to the Award Recipient in two equal installments, one at the beginning of the grant year (1 November 2022) and the other in September 2023.
- Discretion to consolidate these two payments or distribute them according to a different payment schedule is vested in the Trustees.
- The second payment will be at the discretion of the Trustees subject to the quality of an interim report from the Award Recipient due by 1 September 2023.
- The Award Recipient will be required to provide:
- an interim report by 1 September, 10 months after the commencement of the Award Period;
- a final report by 1 February, 15 months after the commencement of the Award Period;
- an original artwork created as a result of the grant monies, to be exhibited in the next CAW Members’ Exhibition as well as a professionally photographed image of the artwork to be displayed on the CAW Online Gallery.
- Each report will detail how the Award Recipient has undertaken their project and benefited from the grant monies.
- Failure to provide the reports within the stipulated timeframe will exclude the Award Recipient from future applications.
- The Grant may be terminated should the Award Recipient fail to meet the terms of the Grant or withdraws from the activities sponsored by the Grant before completing.
- Should the Grant be terminated, the Trustees will determine if any, or all of the Grant monies should be repaid.
- The Award Recipient may be requested to participate in publicity of the Mavis Hall CAW Trust Grant program from time to time and may be contacted for an interview and photograph.
- The Trustees may also promote the Award by publishing the names of the past and current recipients.
- Arrangements for such publicity will be made through the Mavis Hall CAW Trust.
It is the Award Recipient’s responsibility to determine the taxation implications of the award, if any, that apply to their individual circumstances.